Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Out-Of-Towner

After my last disastrous date with yet another inept New York man, I'm bringing someone in from DC to go out this Saturday. Calling up the reserves. Granted he's just moved there after living in NYC for years and years, but still...gotta start somewhere, right?

(Men used to be MEN in New York. What happened?)

This "somewhere" actually starts down the shore Labor Day Weekend this past summer. A friend's boyfriend's friend (basically, "a stranger") and I met, and he made no pretense of not being interested. While I was intrigued, I was more hung up on the fact that LE wasn't texting me and acted enough of a fool as to not hook up with this guy.

Apparently this was a first for both of us. He thought his charms were indefensible; I hardly spent much time hanging out with a man I wasn't interested in. When he found out I had a boyfriend, he decided he either a) didn't care, b) was up to the challenge, or c) both a and b. My guess is c, but I could be flattering myself and it was b. Either way, we hung out platonically for much of the weekend (as the friend I was there to see came down with violent food poisoning and I was left on my own most of the time). He vowed that when LE and I broke up and the timing was right, he'd make it work out between us. He even wrote it in my phone so I'd remember when I sobered up. Awwww.

He's spent the last two and a half months emailing almost every day until I started to feel like it might be cheating and I wouldn't like it if LE was doing the same. (Do as I say, not as I do). When things slowed down about a month ago, we still emailed once or twice a week and he'd text me pictures of things in DC as he walked around town. Now before you ask me what the hell my problem is since this guy was obviously interested and attentive in all the ways LE wasn't, keep in mind this is the same mid-thirty-something man that reigned supreme as beer pong champion all weekend and tried desperately to make out with me the first night while simultaneously telling me that he "just wants to be memorable" in my life. "Oh, trust me," I said, "you are." It was a shitshow. He's not toooootally together.

(THIS is beerpong. As far as I'm concerned, "Beirut" is only a city in Lebanon.)

Anyway though, the timing is right. I texted him him after the shock of last Saturday subsided with "good news for you, boyfriend and i broke up. whenre you coming to ny to take me on a date?" He responded with "next weekend?", and we've made plans for him to come in. I've tried to graciously let him know to make plans to sleep elsewhere, as I'm 99% sure it's the shock of being turned down this summer that has kept him interested, and I'm absolutely not about to loose my trump card on the first date. (Be quiet. I play by my own rules.) However, now my friends have me second-guessing my ability to send him on his way at the conclusion of the evening and the social appropriateness of inviting a man to come see me and then telling him to find somewhere to stay.

My defense of my reasoning would have been stronger had I not, in the same breath, commented on my interest in checking out the Levi Johnston Playgirl spread when it comes out. Hey, a girl can be curious can't she??

On a completely unrelated note, I'm obsessed with this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment