(Don't look up at me like that with those big eyes)
Well you know what I say? Go home, Life! I’ve had enough of your antics! To overuse the famed civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer's phrase, "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired."
Aw, Fannie. LE had a friend who's wife I kept calling Fannie when we were drunk at a wedding once. It wasn't her name, but she liked me anyway. Come to think of it, I don't know why I was calling her that. Come to really think of it, I don't know why she liked me. If someone was drunk and calling me the wrong name all night, I'd probably dislike them immensely and talk shit about them to LE as soon as we were away from the offender. LE was great for that...letting me bitch.
But moving on. Stop busting my balls, Life. I'm doing the best I can. It's been a rough year-- two major heart breaks, a new apartment, aimlessly employed for the first six months. Just... lay off for a little, OK?
Ha, "lay off". When I was laid off for a while, my lease was about to end and it looked like I was going to have to move home to my parents' house. LE was so desperate for me to stay in New York with him, he kept offering me a job on his TV show. He was good like that, supportive and looking out for me.
That's besides the point though. The point is that at this juncture, I just wanna coast undisturbed for a little while. No bumps in the road please, no big negative events looming, no tumultuous storm clouds on the horizon. I'm in the mood for butterflies and rainbows for the rest of the year...at least!
Rainbows. Sigh. When LE and I went upstate to see the foliage and get away for a few days, there was a cold, overcast morning. We drove out to this amazing restaurant in the middle of nowhere and stopped at all the crazy "World's Largest" attractions and we got lost on the way back our hotel. When we finally turned around on this hidden, unpaved road, there were two HUGE rainbows stretching across the sky over the mountains. It was amazing. Lovely memory...
Back to the issue at hand, however. Life, I try and be a good person. I do good deeds. I'm generally nice to everyone. I have human flaws, but don't we all? So I'm asking you to grant me some reprieve. Let things go my way. Maybe show me some love, show me the money.
Wasn't there an episode of The Office where Michael Scott was using the line, "show me the money"? Heh...LE loves that show. He has every season on DVD. He would put it on late at night and we'd curl up in bed together and I'd fall asleep while he watched for a little while. We fit so well together in that spot.
Anyway, I think what I'm trying to get at here, Life, is that I think the sweet WOULD still taste just as sweet without the sour. Actually, I even hate sour candy-- never eat it. (Trust me, chocolate is still very delicious.) I could do without a move to appreciate my old apartment, a new job to remember how well I did at the old one, or a breakup to force me to see what I had going. I'm just trying to appreciate what I have happening NOW.
Sometimes though...you can't shake off the memories.

No comments:
Post a Comment