Well, at least it is for men. Unfortunately, I think women are born knowing what they want. It is just our unlucky lot in life to be eternal teachers. Maybe women are even a slightly higher life-form than men. Perhaps when men die, if they've lived good lives and learned all of their lessons, they come back as women and get to teach other men how to behave like human beings. Karma's a bitch.
( Karma Police?)
Seriously. What little girl hasn't spent her entire life playing house, playing school, playing grocery shopping and babysitter and ... you get the point. From the time we are born, we are practicing being caretakers. Now I'm not saying that there aren't men out there who aren't equal partners with their wives-- some of my very good friends are with them. I hope to wind up with one. Most of my friends however, are doomed to spend the rest of their lives closing the shower door after he bathes, putting his dishes in the sink, and moving his clothes from the washer to the dryer. (You know who you are.)
And maybe this has nothing to do with Karma at all, but the fact that our gifts were Barbie and Ken and our brothers' were Nerf Crossbows and toy toolkits. Hey, you work with what you got. Or maybe they ALL could be equal partners and ALL know exactly what they're doing, they're just either brighter than (they've milked the system this long) or not as enlightened as (doomed to be men again next time 'round) their Modern Man counterparts.
The worst part of it all though, is that before we even settle down with The One, we've spent years training Other Ones. You know, the ones you date forever, instruct how to treat a woman/do laundry/make love/cook/buy socks. We date him and mold him and teach him and love him...and get him ready to be The One for someone else. What kind of cruel joke is that? Now I'm not advocating changing anyone. If I've learned anything from Amy Dalley, it's that men don't change. I'm simply lamenting the holes in the system we've created. For example, last weekend one of my best friends was joking around with her boyfriend about the best ways to pick up women at a bar and what we like and don't like. This weekend they're broken up and she's kicking herself. He just got a little better at someone else's game, thanks to her.
We shouldn't hate other women though, we're all working together for the greater good. I'm fairly certain that without us standing up, taking the reigns in relationships, and calling the shots, men's game would still be clubbing us over the head with heavy objects and dragging us home. Thanks to one another, we can meet a semi-civilized man in a suit at a bar, have a decent conversation over dinner at a respectable restaurant, and maybe repeat the process again the next day. This isn't something our first boyfriends knew how to do, remember? The guy at the bar is only there because another woman brought him to where he is now.
I'm not writing this entry as some sort of male-bashing, anti-feminism rant. I'm a strong, independent woman (just like Beyonce) and I love men. Just ask them-- there aren't that many left that I haven't loved. I kid, I kid. That'd be impossible. There are new men being born every day. I could never catch up with all of them...mostly due to issues of legality. I kid, I kid. But anyway, back to the message at hand: baby, when you find a guy that isn't a handy-man special, hang onto him. Someone else has put a lot of work into him, it'd be a shame to waste it.

No comments:
Post a Comment