We will call him Jared because of Jared, the spokesman for Subway. Get it? We met on the subway??
(I'm torn between disappointment and ecstasy that when I google "Jared",
Jared Leto shows up and not Jared from the Subway commercials.)
Anyway, last night Jared texted me and suggested we meet at 7:30PM at a bar around the corner from our apartments. This sounded great because a) I hate having to pay for a cab when I go on a date (I mean come on, it's not exactly an inexpensive evening for me when I'm paying close to $30 to get to you and home.) and because b) if we meet at 7:30PM I can, ideally, be home in time to catch Modern Family (and if you haven't seen it? Missing out...big time.). I agreed and arranged my day today around seeing Jared.
All was fine and dandy until #2 IMed me at around 11AM. He went on a rant about Seinfeld and how it's not the same without me and how he finally saw the finale episode for the first time and why were people so upset about it? It seemed OK to him! My responses slowly warmed until we had an almost normal rapport. He brought it to the level of hinting about not being able to keep his hands off of me and I responded with a joke, then he told me he had a phone call and would talk to me "in a bit". That was 12 hours ago. This doesn't surprise me because his complete inability to estimate and/or quantify lengths of time was a constant issue for me (mostly in secret) during the short time we dated (for a normal person "going on a run and calling you when I get back" means "I'll be in touch in about an hour" not "I'll text you in three hours after I run and play football and screw around with my friends"). Yes, I completely get that he's fucking around with me. However, my oath to myself that I wouldn't stress about him anymore is really working. He said he'd be "back in a bit" and I really didn't spend much time at all (maybe 10 minutes total?) thinking about him the rest of the day. If he wants to talk to me, he'll contact me. If he wants to see me, he'll make plans with me. It's really all out of my control. That is of course, until he Jedi mind-fucks me on the day I have a date. Then it takes some effort to erase him from my recent memory.
Somehow I managed to put him out of my head though and have a perfectly shitty day at work all on my own. By the time I walked in the door at around 6:30PM I felt terrible (I've been sick for about a week and half) and in no mood to socialize with anyone. I sucked it up and showered and got myself together though, and met Jared at 7:30 on the dot (I'm pretty much NEVER on time). And ya know what? We actually had a really nice time. It was so much fun to talk to someone who does the same thing as me at the same place and has the same insane commute and works with similar crazy personalities and gripes about the exact things that I gripe about. I really had a lot of fun with him.
Except, of course, for the part where he looks exactly like my youngest brother. Not in a like "oh they both have blonde hair and blue eyes" kind of way, but in a "holy shit that's the same face he makes! and they have the same jaw structure! and in this lighting I keep forgetting that it's actually NOT my brother sitting across the table from me!!" kind of way. It realllllly spooked me. So now I'm basically unable to ever see this guy again for fear that he'd make some sort of sexual move on me and I'd lose it. My only saving grace is that in a week or so he's leaving on a three and a half week African adventure, so I can gracefully fade away during that time and be "seeing someone" when he gets back.
God bless the rains down in Africa.

No comments:
Post a Comment