Friday, November 26, 2010

Can't Live With 'Em, Can't Live Without 'Em

There are so many things wrong with men that I could probably have a separate blog entirely devoted to exploring them.

However, for the sake of maintaining just the one I'll focus on things wrong with men in my life...currently, BB.  Now, I think the world of him.  He makes me laugh, he supports me, he treats me like an equal partner-- there are many fine, fine aspects of BB.  He also, though, is a fucking idiot sometimes.

(note the ironic [I hope] use of "your" instead of "you're")

Case. In. Point.  Today is a holiday; Thanksgiving to be exact.  A day to take stock of your life and think about all of the gifts you have been given and how fortunate you are and all of the wonderful people you have been blessed with.  This morning I texted BB and said "Happy Thanksgiving!! (I'm thankful for you...and facebook)".  I thought this was sweet and funny (as facebook was where he stalked me down and ultimately asked me out).  He responded with a lot of "hahas" and a picture of his dog wearing a fraternity t-shirt.

Yes, this actually happened.

Now I'm not asking him to call me back immediately and profess his love for me, but goddamn, a half-hearted and copycat "I'm thankful for you too" would've been nice to hear (read?).  But then, THEN, to not call me ALL DAY LONG?  That is not OK.  It's a holiday.  The least you can do is give me a ring at 9PM and ask how the day went.

And this isn't me asking a lot.  This isn't me wanting something that he didn't know he should give.  This isn't rocket science.  This isn't Mars/Venus bullshit.  It's a phone call.  I get calls from him when he's getting lunch.  I get calls from him when he's walking to the gym.  I get calls from him when he's getting his watch sized.  But I have to ASK for a phone call on a fucking holiday?  Really?  Really.

When I said this to my mom she responded with "well, maybe he didn't want to bother you today because he knew you were doing family stuff."  I was like uh yeah, that's why I have voice mail.  If I'm busy, you can leave a message and I'll get back to you.  During my dad's 60th bday party a couple of weeks ago he called AND texted.  I didn't get the messages until after midnight (it was a rager), but I sure as hell got back to him when I did get a chance to check my phone.  He's familiar with the protocol.  And my mom agreed; if he wanted to talk to me, he would've called.

Now I know tomorrow he'll say he didn't want to bother me when I was doing family stuff and then cite my dad's birthday as a perfect example of not knowing how late my family parties go until, but no.  Not acceptable.  Not even a text asking how my day went?  Not cool dude, not cool.  But maybe what I'm most resentful for is the fact that he does and says a lot of stupid shit without thinking all the time and I let it go because I know he doesn't mean it and doesn't think.  Then, I'm stuck harboring all these feelings and swallowing them and not saying anything because I know there's a bigger picture and I can't be nitpicky.  But a phone call on Thanksgiving?  I'm sorry, I just don't think that's an outrageous request.  Now tomorrow I'll have to feel like "bitchy girlfriend", which I am not, when I bring this up.  And that's what upsets me most of all.  His lack of consideration casting me into a role which I don't play.  It's unfair.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure, EB would always disappear on holidays.  The man would be up my ass every other day and then on a holiday he would vanish.  I think they did an episode on him in that show Without A Trace.  This was just such a painfully obvious way of letting me know how he felt about me and where I stood in his life.  If BB is trying to send me that same message, it's received.  If he's not, then sorry I'm just a tad bit sensitive to this issue.  This is me taking 5% of the blame right now for how I'm feeling.  He is still wholly responsible for the other 95%.  I give credit where credit is due.

Oh, and BB?  I hate your baseball hat.  It makes you look like a hillbilly doofus.

No comments:

Post a Comment